Thursday, June 10, 2010

Soup and Sandwich Night

Sometimes you just gotta go back to the basics.

I recently saw an episode of Everyday Italian where Giada hosted a bridal shower for her girlfriend. One of the dishes she prepared was an Open-Faced Tuna Sandwich with Arugula and Sweet-Pickle Mayonnaise. It looked so delicious I just had to try it!

Since I had some leftover pesto sauce that I made earlier in the week for the Twice Baked Pesto Potato, I substituted the Sweet-Pickle Mayo for the pesto. It was so frickin' tasty!

Grilled ciabatta topped with pesto sauce, pan seared tuna, melted white cheddar & crisp arugula

And when you have a sandwich, you've got to pair it with a nice hearty soup! I found a minestrone recipe (because it's John's favorite) on the Whole Foods website and even got to use some fresh herbs from the garden. The only thing I did differently from their recipe is that I only used 1 carrot vs 2 (i HATE carrots) and tossed a potato in. I also made croutons with the left over ciabatta. The soup was so comforting - tomato-y and the croutons added the perfect crunch!

Minestrone soup topped with homemade croutons & a parsley garnish (conveniently from the garden!)

4 comments:

  1. the meal was delicious... thanks for cooking tonite :)tuna and soup were perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. why aint you be making these stuff at homes. im over here eating digiornos and frozen fries!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anna, your culinary skills is something I truly admire. The way you pinch the salt, dash the basil, crack the peppercorns or smidgen the lemon juice brings a needed life to the otherwise dull and dated kitchen! Your Twice Baked Pesto Potato brings shame to my Tri Cooked Chicken Wings. Your care in plating your food confirms that cooking is not just feeding a hunger, but is in addition a work of art. Marvelous. You have opened up my once sheltered taste buds to exotic worldwide sensations. Pizza and French fries move over, my tongue has experienced Ciabatta and quinoa. en Papillote, oh oui oui, I like me some en Papillote. Thank you Anna, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Will - I think you need your own blog

    ReplyDelete