Saturday, July 24, 2010

Mustard-Roasted Snapper

I suffer from Goldilocks syndrome whenever I make seafood. It's either underdone or overdone, never just right. That is, until I stumbled upon Ina Garten's Mustard-Roasted Fish Recipe. I've never roasted snapper or any fish before and I was fully prepared to eat a rubber tire but to my surprise, the fish came out just right. The creamy sauce that covered the snapper served as a protective shield to keep the moisture in without overcooking it. The dijon and whole grain mustard combo cut through the rich sauce so nicely. I must caution though, the flavorful sauce is a little intense from the mustard and the creme fraiche so pair it with something that won't fight the flavors or the delicate texture of this dish. I served it with quinoa & roasted broccoli and it made for one quick and easy meal! You could even say it was a snap!

On the flip side, today's seafood dishes landed on the overdone side. I decided to make dinner for my mom, sister & brother-in-law since they've been so busy taking care of the twins. Sous Chef Lough and I made Mussels in White Wine, Garlic Bread, Roasted Asparagus, and  Lemon, Butter, Caper Scallops over a bed of lemon pepper pappardelle (available at Trader Joe's). In my attempt to time all of the dishes to finish at the exact same time, I ended up overcooking the scallops. Even so, the family was appreciative of the break from all the chinese food they've been eating. And it was very gratifying to know that even though I cant change diapers, I can provide a pretty delicious meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment