Monday, July 12, 2010

My first curry

I had a weird assortment of produce that I needed to use: a Bell Pepper & Jalapenos.

I also had a couple of random items in the pantry that I wanted to get rid of: Coconut milk & Rice Noodles.

The only thing I've ever used the coconut milk for is a vegetable korma but I didn't have any of the other ingredients on hand. I did have a bottle of curry powder though so I did a quick search for Curry Powder, Coconut Milk & Potatoes (which I also had on hand) and voila! Easy Thai Chicken Curry recipe which I adapted for my palate. Try it out! I was quite pleased! Bon Appetit!

Thai Tofu Curry
(Adapted from this recipe on recipezaar.com)
4.5 oz Coconut Milk
10 oz Water
3 Tbsp Soy Sauce
2 Tsp Soup Base (Any kind - I used "Better than Bouillon Vegan No Chicken Base)
1.5 Tbsp Curry Powder
2 small potatoes, diced
1/2 package of Extra Firm Tofu, diced
1 Roma Tomato, diced
1 Jalapeno Pepper, sliced into long strips
1 Red Bell Pepper
3-4 Fresh Basil leaves, reserve 2 leaves for garnish
Rice Noodles, boiled & drained


Mix Coconut Milk, Water, Soup Base, Soy Sauce, Curry Powder, and Potatoes in a sauce pot and bring to a boil. Once mixture comes to a boil, reduce heat and simmer mixture for 15 minutes.


Add the tomatoes, tofu, jalapeno and simmer for another 8 minutes or until potatoes are tender.

Add the bell pepper strips and basil and simmer for another minute or two. If you like the bell peppers a little softer, simmer for another 5 minutes.

Place the rice noodles in the bottom of a bowl and top with the curry and the basil garnish.

1 comment: