Thursday, July 7, 2011

Laksa

Laksa!

My mom likes to give me random ingredients whenever I visit. On my last visit, she gave me a package of rice noodle sheets. I had no idea what to do with it. They were a little too thick to saute like chow fun noodles and bánh cuốn was a bit too complicated for a work night.

It'd been sitting in my refrigerator for several days when I finally just googled, "what to do with rice noodle sheets." Nothing really appealed to me so I went to one of my favorite sites for asian recipes, Rasa Malaysia. This site never fails me, it's where I got my Roasted Crab with Garlic Noodles and Indian Mee Goreng recipes.

After a quick search for "noodles" on Rasa Malaysia's site, I found exactly what I didn't even know what I was looking for - Laksa!

Curry, noodles, and soup? Yes, please! I changed the original recipe up a bit and it turned out fabulous and a super quick meal! Enjoy!
Laksa
Adapted from Rasa Malaysia's recipe
Serves 6

Stock
3 tablespoons oil
1/2 pack Malaysian instant curry paste (I used Mae Ploy Masman Curry Paste)
2 cups chicken stock
2 cups water
2 tablespoons fish sauce
2 stalks lemongrass (white part only, pounded)
2 jalapenos, thickly sliced
10 tofu puffs, halved
1/2 cup evaporated milk
1/2 cup coconut milk
Salt to taste
Green onions and Lime wedges as garnish
Other Ingredients
Rice noodle sheets (The package will say Bánh ướt)
Bean sprouts, rinsed
3 hard-boiled eggs, quartered
Fish cakes, sliced

In a stockpot, add the oil and sauté the instant curry paste until aromatic.
Add the chicken broth, water, fish sauce, lemongrass, jalapeno, tofu puffs and bring the stock to boil.
Lower the heat to simmer. Add the coconut milk and evaporated milk. Add salt to taste. Keep the stock on simmer.
Bring another pot of water to a boil, add the rice noodle sheets, and allow the noodles to soften and separate a bit. Careful to not overcook or the noodles will break apart. Drain in a strainer.
To assemble a bowl of laksa for serving, put the noodles into a bowl and top with bean sprouts, a few slices of fish cake, and 1-2 egg quarters. Using a ladle, pour the laksa broth and a few pieces of tofu puffs on top of the noodles.Garnish with green onions and squeeze lime juice over the top right before serving.
Evaporated milk, Coconut milk, Masman Curry Paste, Tofu puffs, Lemongrass, and Rice noodle sheets

No comments:

Post a Comment