Monday, July 25, 2011

Sesame Tofu & Rustic Cabbage Soup

Sometimes, you just need to detox.

Whether it's from having one too many cocktails or eating out too much (guilty of both this weekend), the body gives subtle clues when it's not a happy camper. For me, I know I need to detox when I start to feel a little sluggish and heavy on the inside.  I also start to crave green, crisp vegetables.

This weekend was especially busy and I got a little lazy with cooking. My body craved a home cooked meal today and it was the perfect opportunity to use up some produce that was nearing expiration. I had a half head of green cabbage and a couple potatoes. Luckily, I found an amazing recipe that used up both items.

I wasn't sure how the soup would turn out since it was my first time making it so I also made a back up meal, a sesame tofu recipe that my dear friend Clarissa sent to me. Luckily, the soup was light yet flavorful and super nutritious. And the sesame tofu was delicious as usual. Even if both dishes didn't quite go together, it still made for a delicious Meatless Monday and I'm ready to attack the rest of the week.

Sesame Tofu
Adapted from this recipe
Serves 6

14 ounces extra-firm tofu
2 teaspoons honey
3 tablespoons tamari
3 tablespoons finely chopped ginger
2 tablespoons sesame oil (not toasted)
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 cloves finely chopped garlic
1 teaspoons red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon Canola oil
1/4 cup sesame seeds, lightly toasted
6 green onions

Cut the tofu into small triangles, place into a saucepan and cover with water. Bring the water to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 10 minutes. After the tofu has simmered for 10 minutes, drain the tofu in a strainer.

Meanwhile, put honey, tamari, ginger, sesame oil, vinegar, garlic and chile flakes into a small saucepan and bring just to a simmer. Keep warm.

Coat a pan lightly with olive oil and put the tofu in to brown. Once browned, lower the heat to about medium and pour the sauce in and let simmer for a couple minutes. Toss the tofu with the sesame seeds and green onions just before serving over your carb of choice (I used brown rice).
Rustic Cabbage Soup
Adapted from 101 Cookbooks 
Serves 4

1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
a big pinch of salt
1/2 pound potatoes, cut 1/4-inch pieces
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
5 cups vegetable stock 
1/2 medium cabbage, cored and sliced into 1/4-inch ribbons
Freshly cracked black pepper, garnish
1 cup cooked brown rice.

Warm the olive oil in a large thick-bottomed pot over medium-high heat. Stir in the salt and potatoes. Cover and cook until they are a bit tender and starting to brown a bit, about 5 minutes.

Stir in the garlic and onion and cook for another minute or two. Add the stock and bring the pot to a simmer.

Stir in the cabbage and cook for a couple more minutes, until the cabbage softens up a bit. Taste and add more salt if needed, the amount of salt you will need to add will depend on how salty your stock is. Serve with a couple spoonfuls of brown rice and freshly cracked pepper and you've got yourself a full meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment